UConn Extension's Put Local On Your Tray Program works with K-12 public school districts and early care providers to help them source, serve and celebrate fresh, local, Connecticut grown products in their meal programs. UConn Extension maintains a farm directory to help connect food service directors to farmers.
- We coach school districts and early care centers how to find, purchase, and use locally grown products that are in season.
- We provide technical assistance to farmers interested in selling to schools.
- We create and share free educational materials for students (grades 2-5) that center cultural and seasonal food celebrations in our region.
- We work with a cohort of up to 25 school districts each year to help them reach their farm-to-school goals.
- Finally, we work closely with the Connecticut Department of Agriculture and Connecticut Department of Education in promoting CT Grown for CT Kids Week each fall.