We have a lot of great recipes using roots - check them out here, or try these simple raw or roasted root recipes by our farmer liaison, Shannon.
You can enjoy this Raw Slaw recipe for a taste test or extra side and use ANY of the following roots in it. We suggest you do not mix the roots together so you can taste the distinct flavor of a particular type.
Recipe by Shannon Raider-Ginsburg
- 1 lb peeled or well scrubbed parsnips, carrots, turnips, rutabaga, beets, radish or sunchokes, shredded or thinly sliced on a mandolin
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley or cilantro or dill
- ¼ cup minced red or sweet onion
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Toss all ingredients together and adjust seasonings to taste. Prepare at least an hour ahead of serving for a softer crunch or toss right before serving for a more robust texture.
The Raw Test
Peel or well scrub parsnips, carrots, turnips, rutabaga, beets, radish OR sunchokes.
Use a peeler to shave strips off and arrange on a cutting board or in taster cups.
Serve, Savor and Share!
Universal Roasted Roots!
You can use literally any root vegetable in this recipe. Make it a solo dish or any combination that is pleasing or available to you…
Preheat oven to 400℉
- 5 lb mix of roots, well scrubbed or peeled.
- Toss with ¼ cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Optional additions (although not roots) - chunks of onions or roughly chopped garlic
Arrange roots on a baking sheet in a single layer
Roast for 40 minutes or till desired texture.
Leftovers can be pureed and made into an awesome soup!
Back to the Savor page!